Ahhh karaoke. A favorite past-time. What is it about belting out/shouting songs in small groups (or in front of packed restaurants… that one time… .D.C… whoops..) that gives me such a thrill? Maybe it’s compensating for the fact that despite doing musicals for all 4 years of high school, I never once got a solo-singing part? I’m not sure what it is, but one thing is for sure: I LOVE karaoke.
This list has been years in the making. I love karaoke so much that I don’t want to waste my time on ‘whatever’ songs when I arrive. I want a list to refer to with only the best karaoke songs – my favorites – so I know I’m going to get right down to it. Throughout the years, whenever I’d find myself jamming out to an awesome song in the car or wherever – down it went on my Karaoke list. Using Evernote makes it super efficient because it means this list is with me whenever my phone is with me – and let’s be honest – that is: all the time.
Without future ado, I give you:
the Karaoke List (my favorites with notes):
- Nothing Compares To You – Sinead O’conner – this is my number one. many of you have had the pleasure of witnessing this performance. this is what’s going on in my photo – one of the more epic renditions.
- Gimme One Reason – Tracy Chapman – this song just feels so good to sing, a must-try.
- What’s Up – 4 Non Blondes – a close second. just thinking about singing this gives me a thrill!
- Brand New Key – Melanie – i’ve yet to do this one. Jimmy Fallon did on his show. i sing it to my baby. it’s a great silly song.
- Crazy For You – Adele – i’ve been rehearsing this one ever since i first discovered adele in 2009 whilst driving around new zealand solo. i’ve always envisioned serenading whoever happened to be my current love. yet to be performed. watch out!
- I Think We’re Alone Now – Tiffany – only performed this once in san francisco. a big hit!
- I’m Going Down – Rose Royce – not yet performed and probably never will, but it would be great if i could!
- Situation – Yaz – not yet performed – not sure if any karaoke place even offers this song but i know it’d be a crowd pleaser.
- Be My Little Baby – The Ronnettes (from Dirty Dancing) – not yet preformed but dying to.
- Bam Bam – Sister Nancy – not yet performed, and probably never will. too unusual but one of my all time favorite songs.
- (Rock down to) Electric Avenue – Eddie Grant- not yet performed.
- Whip It – Devo – not yet performed.
the Karaoke List (the rest):
- Santeria – Sublime
- Baby One More Time – Britney
- You’ve Lost That Lovin Feeling – Daryl Hall & John Oates \ Righteous Brothers
- Bring It On Home To Me – Sam Cooke
- All These Things That I’ve Done – The Killers
- Mr. Brightside – The Killers
- Time After Time – Cyndi Lauper
- The Shoop Shoop Song – Cher
- Feel Like Making Love – Bad Company
- 500 Miles – Proclaimers
- Shoop – Salt N Pepa
- Joker – Steve Miller Band
- If I Could Turn Back Time – Cher
- Better Man – Pearl Jam
- Grease Duet – Summer Nights
- Under The Bridge, Suck My Kiss – Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
- True Blue – Madoona
- Mmmmm Mmmmmm Mmmmm – Crash Test Dummies
What are your favorite karaoke songs / songs to sing real loud? Please share below!! Let’s keep this list growing!